Despite defending his position in the immediate aftermath of the programme, the cardinal has rarely been seen out in public since and has not been presiding at confirmation ceremonies. Dr Brady had claimed he received a lot of support from within the church to stay on in his role as Primate of All Ireland.
However, the revelation that so few priest attended the prayer meeting suggests that his analysis may not be the correct one.
The BBC documentary revealed how in the mid-1970s the then Fr Brady had been informed by 14-year-old abuse victim Brendan Boland that other children were being abused by Smyth.
This creep should be taken out and flogged and stripped of his vestments
- Fresh blow for Cardinal Sean Brady as priests snub rally (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- VIDEO: Cardinal Brady ‘will not resign’ (bbc.co.uk)
- ‘No healing until cardinal quits’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Is This Cardinal Brady’s Last Stand? (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- Vatican adds voice to support for Cardinal Brady (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)